Thursday, January 22, 2009

Horsman Doll's Mechanical Ball-jointed Doll

Tosca

Edge


Lately, there are many new dolls entered the markets with their own unique characteristics or special functions such as interchangeable parts. I am relatively new to BJD and resin dolls, so I am learning how to handle them day-by-day. Today I learnt another term of BJD called “mechanical BJD” from Angelic Dreamz website.

Mechanical BJD : Most Ball Jointed dolls are strung with elastic, so they tend to spring back, with a mechanical ball joint, there is no stringing and the joints hold their position.”

Hum.. that sounds interesting to me. Could Jason Wu's AvantGuard doll be also called mechanical BJD? Or if the mechanism of it looks like Obitus and Who's the Girl of VOLKS? I am curious to find out how different they are!

According to Angelic Dreamz, Horsman Dolls are introducing 3 basic dolls and 3 dressed sets of "Urban Vita" series : Hot Hot, Edge, and Tosca. Horsman's Director of Art & Design, Dorinda Balanecki, did all of the scuplture herself. Each of these 16” mechanical BJD is designed with 19 points of articulation. Their fee design is named as “Conforming foot design”? Again, I wonder what kind of design is it that allows the doll wearing both flat and heeled shoes. Since they are made with ABS and vinyl, so they have painted eyes and rooted saran hair. The dressed sets are LE200 and priced at US120 each.

Picture credit: http://angelicdreamz.com/store/Urban_Doll/urban_doll.html

2 comments:

knitberries said...

The foot on the Urban Vita doll is not quite as arched as with other dolls. It will not sit perfectly flat so I would recommend flat shoes or boots that hide the foot.Heels shouldn't be a problem for her.
(just got my Urban Vita yesterday, and my only complaints are the squinty eyes and the fact that her head is a bit small for her body)
Discovered your blog a few days ago, and it's been quite helpful to a newbie doll collector. Thanks!

Cliff - Hong Kong said...

Hi Knitberries, thank you for your information. I am glad that you think that my blog is useful!! That give some special meaning to my blog!

Cliffy